Old Soccer Guys (& Gals) Wanted
Dear Verona United SC Parents,
How often do you hear that? We know that your kids like to play, but do you still like to get out on the pitch and try to recreate your past glories from your youth, high school, college, semi-pro or above days?
If the answer to that question is a resounding yes, then we may have an opportunity for you. Three current Verona United team managers – Justin Marriott, Doug Moore and John Randazzo – play in a twice-weekly “organized” friendly match on the Montclair State University campus.
- Wednesdays, either a 8:00 PM or 9:00 PM start
- Saturdays at 7:00 AM
- Games typically last around 90-minutes
- We usually play 13v13… trust me, the pitch is more than large enough; each week is limited to 26-players showing
- Teams are chosen ahead of arriving at the field by a crack selection committee
- You do not have to play twice per week or every week. Only requirement is that you respond “in/out” on TeamSnap
- Beers at Tierney’s Tavern after the Wednesday game and coffees at Java Love Coffee Roasting Co. following Saturdays
It’s advertised as an over-30’s game and some “new old blood” is needed in the game. Chronic injury, life changes and general fatigue have reduced the participants, particularly for the Wednesday night game.
The cost is around $300 for the year, with a percentage of this (including additional fundraisers) going to support MSU’s Men’s and Women’s Soccer Programs.
It’s a good quality game.
We’re looking for candidates.
Qualifications in order of importance:
- 30+ years old
- Communicates well, in timely fashion and won’t irritate Chair of the Match
- Will show-up on-time and in all weather conditions
- Has a passion for the game and good temperament
- Reasonable skill level
- fit and healthy and can last 90-minute game
- Has a bank account, with a positive balance
Verona United SC Board Member
*this will consist of an informal face-to-face chat at the Verona Inn over a beer (on your tab) to assess your suitability.